As two of the most highly sought after steel grades on the market,many questions come up between the differences in 1018 and A36 steel.How different is A36 from 1018?Are they equivalent material grades?Let's take a look at the differences between them.
1018 can come in cold drawn or hot rolled forms,but it is frequently purchased as a cold drawn product.We'll assume 1018 is in its cold drawn state in this comparison.It typically comes in bar form in various sizes and shapes.1018 steel is a mild low carbon steel with good ductility,toughness and strength qualities.1018 steel can be easily welded using most welding processes.Capital Steel & Wire for example makes 1018 cold drawn bar in square,hexagon,round and flat bar shapes and can cut it in any specified length.
ASTM A36 steelis one of the most widely manufactured grades of steel,as it has many different applications across many industries.Like 1018,it can be hot rolled or cold drawn, but is typically hot rolled.So again,in this comparison,we'll assume A36 is hot rolled.It comes in many different bar shapes including squares,rounds, rectangles,and is also often manufactured into channels,angles,I-Beams and H-Beams.It is also commonly manufactured as a steel plate product.
Chemically, A36 and 1018 are very similar.
|Phosphorus, P (max)||0.04%||0.04%|
|Sulfur, S (max)||0.05%||0.05%|
Whether steel is hot rolled or cold drawn has a significant impact on the mechanical properties as noted in the table below.
|Tensile Strength||58,000 psi||63,000 psi|
|Yield Strength||36,300 psi||53,700 psi|
|Elongation (50 mm)||20%||15%|
1018 steel is used over A36 for applications that require machining,because it responds to machining fairly well.1018 is most commonly used in high volume screw machine parts including shafts,spindels,pins and rods.A36 is often used as a mass steel product for the industrial and construction industries for making buildings,bridges,railroads,oil rigs and more.A36 is easy to weld with any standard welding methods,and with lower yield strengths than 1018,it is easier to bend.
Because cold drawing steel is more labor intensive and time intensive,the price of hot rolled products is significantly less than cold drawn.For products that do not require higher quality finishes and high strength and machinability characteristics,A36 makes a lot more sense than 1018 simply for the reduced cost alone.
As you can see,the mechanical and chemical properties of 1018, the machinability and the surface finish of 1018 steel are all superior to A36.However,the big advantage of A36 is the overall cost.When deciding between the two steels,take into consideration the end application and the quantity that you will need.
If you need any info or price details on steel plate of Q235A,Q235B or equivalent steel standard ASTM A36 and SS400, don't hesitate to send a message now!
- Carbon Steel Plate
- EN S275J0 HR plate sheet application
- EN S690QL steel sheet mill
- China ASME SA709 Gr 100W carbon steel sheet stock
- S460Q HR plate sheet specification
- SM490YB HR plate plate factory
- GB T16270 Q800D HR plate plate application
- ASME SA514 Gr P structural steel sheet sale
- EN S420ML HR plate sheet price
- Offer S460QL1 HR plate plate
- Offer GB T16270 Q550E HR plate plate
- GB T16270 Q550F HR plate sheet data sheet
- Q420C HR plate sheet mill
- GB T3274 Q390D carbon steel sheet specification
- ASTM A588 A588M HR plate sheet specification
- China ASME SA656 Gr 50 HR plate sheet mill
- China ASTM A514 Gr K structural steel sheet price
- S460ML cheap mild steel plate
- China ASTM A709 Grade 36 carbon steel plate factory
- Offer DIN St37 2 HR plate sheet stock
- ASTM A514 Grade S HR plate sheet exporter
- ASTM A656 Gr 60 mild steel plate data sheet
- SA573 Gr 65 HR plate plate data sheet
- China SA514 Gr C HR plate sheet factory
- DIN TStE285 structural steel sheet
- Prime quality GB T16270 Q460D HR plate sheet